10.21.2011

Don't mind me, I'm just going insane


Twelve more days until Day of the Dead and in true procrastinating artist fashion, my stuff is far from done. Granted, I've gotten tons of work done since I've been working on it for about six months straight but I'm nowhere close to being done.

The part that sucks the most is I've run out of money to invest. I still have prints of my artwork left to order--which happens to be the main reason why I wanted to have a booth to sell goods on Day of the Dead in the first place. But I don't see how I'll be able to. I also have scarves and tees that are on my worktable that I still have to finish.

Aaaaagh.

One of my problems is, I suck at asking for "money from investors".  When I met Kathy the Crafty Chica, her advice to me was I shouldn't be so caught up in the creative aspect of it all--the business side is just as important. Well, I've got years as an artist under my belt but I'm a total new booty when it comes to business. But seriously. Most days, I'm just a mom with six kids who's been doing artwork at her "studio" which is really just a glorified desk in the livingroom.

I'm just.
I'm just.
I'm just.

Everything I do, in reality, is me working on my art after and around all of my other duties--cleaning my home, cooking three meals a day, laundry, homeschooling my kids, blogging for Babycenter and being a wife.

If I make it until the end of the month in one piece and with my sanity intact, I'll let you know. But today, right this second, I feel like I'm going to crack. But then again, how is that different from my everyday scenario? I always feel like I'm barely holding on by a string. I haven't blogged and vented in a long time but this just happens to be where I'm at right now.

The artwork above is a collage of sugar skulls that I created for these really cute and tiny wooden plaques that are about 4 x 4 inches in size. I featured a pic of them in the post below. I haven't decided if I'm going to sell them individually or in sets of four. There are nine different designs. My brother Josh was a contributing artist.

He told me to tell you to follow him on Twitter. Heh.

Anyhow, I put together all of the designs just to see what they'd look like and to me, it resembles some really cool Dia de los Muertos fabric. Hey, people over at Alexander Henry Fabrics, peep it.

And now, I must return to the salt mines. Hope you have a restful weekend.

P.S. Should you care to donate to my cause, there is a handy dandy PayPal donate button in a widget on the left side column. There is also a donate button in a page under my header. If you donate, thank you and you're awesome. If you can't donate, I still think you're awesome.

Totally.







1 comment:

  1. I totally understand you! I'm slowly starting a little handmade business (Rosa Mexicano Handmade) and this year I booked 4 Day of the Dead events... Truth is, with the baby, school, work, home, and all those things we have to do is very hard to sit down, relax, and try to be creative!!! Hang in there, everything will fall into place and you will have a successful event!! Tons of patience and good vibes to you!

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover